Friday, August 12, 2016

SYLLABUS



I’m Mrs. Cohen the art teacher at Sallye B. Mathis. I thank you for taking the time to read over this newsletter to help you become familiar with our Art program here at Sallye B.


Art classes are 45 minutes sessions once a week.

Throughout the year our art smart students will:
- Use critical-thinking, problem solving and decision making to create
projects with artistic intent.
- Relate artistic ideas and works with societal, cultural, and historical context to deepen understanding.
-Interpret intent and meaning in other artist’s work.
-Synthesize and and relate knowledge and personal experiences to make art.
-Develop and refine artistic work for presentation.

Art grades are based on:






Every project (except technique exercises) will be assigned a letter grade (A, B, C, etc.). Rubrics will be used for student’s self-assessment as well as instructor assessment. Grading scale will follow Duval County Public Schools’ district grading policy.

Proper behavior goes hand in hand with being successful in class. Thus, to promote a good class environment, CONDUCT weighs 20% of final grade.


All projects are done in class. If you’re student was absent I’ll give them an opportunity to catch up or I’ll modify the project to account for their absence. I do not give students homework on a regular basis. Students, however, may bring me projects they’ve done at home for extra credit if such projects display the understanding and use of the concepts discussed in class.




In addition to the above rules, RESPECT toward the teacher and other students is expected at all times!

I use Class Dojo (www.classdojo.com) as a classroom management tool. Parents can connect via their website and follow their students progress. If you’d like access code to Class Dojo, please email me at: cohend@duvalschools.org and include your child’s name and grade.

My preferable form of communication is email (cohend@duvalschools.org) but if you’d like to call me, the school’s phone number is (904) 924-3086 x. 224 or you may leave a message at the front office.

I look forward to maintaining a supportive environment for learning and I encourage collaborative and integrated learning through the arts.
If you have a volunteer application on file, I’d love to see you in the Art Room!

No comments:

Post a Comment